‘Let the fans take part in the biggest game in years,’ the Welsh government urged | New
The Welsh government has been urged to allow supporters to watch Caernarfon’s ‘biggest game in years’, with adviser citing ‘crazy’ scenario of supporters gathering to watch in pubs, but none allowed in in an outdoor stadium.
The Canaries take on Newtown in the Cymru Premier play-off final on Saturday, with the winners scheduled to take part in the UEFA Europa Conference Premier League.
In addition to a six-figure financial boost just for reaching the preliminary round of the continental competition, the winners will also be awarded the honor of representing Wales in Europe.
Caernarfon Town FC said they had been ‘inundated’ with messages from fans desperate to see them qualify for Europe for the first time, but stressed that current Welsh government regulations would not allow it.
This despite the announcement of several “ test events ” in recent weeks, including the Welsh national team’s friendly against Albania on June 5 before heading into the Euro 2020 tournament.
As it stands, Caernarfon supporters would be allowed to watch the game in nearby pubs or clubs as it is being broadcast live on S4C TV.
But as no supporters are allowed to stand on the stadium terraces, most of which are outdoors, the current situation has been described by a local councilor as “crazy”.
Cllr Jason Wayne Parry, who represents the city’s Peblig district, added: ‘A lot of people are talking about it and it doesn’t seem fair to allow thousands of people into Premier League stadiums last weekend but not even a handful in Caernarfon’s biggest game in years.
âThe divergence of rules between Wales and England has been problematic, but it doesn’t make sense in this case, at the Oval you could easily accommodate 2-300 people while still maintaining social distancing.
“When you consider that so many people have seen their hits and business in Gwynedd being so low, surely common sense must prevail?
“As it is, people will just try to watch the game from the outside on stepladders or gather in pubs, it’s crazy and I don’t see the logic of this at all.”
Up to 10,000 ‘home’ supporters have been cleared into English Premier League stadiums for the last round of matches yesterday, with 4,000 Swansea supporters and 3,000 Newport supporters also expected to travel to Wembley for their next play-offs.
Wrexham AFC have also been told that they would be able to accommodate a limited number of fans if they have a home play-off in the Vanaram National League play-offs, but the main national league officials of the Wales were disappointed after Premier Cymru. was completely excluded from the test events.
In a tweet, the official league account pointed out that while 130 fans had been allowed to watch Barry Town United’s semi-finals against Caernarfon on Saturday at the clubhouse, none were allowed in Jenner Park’s stadium in a capacity of 2,500 places.
Such is the strength of sentiment in Caernarfon, it prompted the local member of the Senedd to write to ministers to demand that a limited number of supporters be allowed to enter the Oval and test new protocols ahead of the new season of the league in August.
“This is the most important game in the history of Caernarfon Town and there will be a lot of interest from their large audience,” wrote Sian Gwenllian MS in the letter to Vaughan Gething, who is responsible for “major events” in his economic portfolio, and Dawn Bowden the deputy minister of sports.
âBut for the moment, supporters will not be allowed to enter the pitch to support their team. I think it is timely to use this match to test the new protocols which must be put in place by August, when it is hoped that 300 clubs will reopen their doors to their supporters.
“It would make sense to decide on a number of capacity and appropriate safety precautions after the risk assessments are undertaken at the Oval.”
In response, a Welsh government spokesperson said: ‘The Prime Minister said if the public health situation remains positive, during the next three week review in early June we will consider moving to alert level one. , which could allow more important events and organized activities, informed by the program of pilot events, currently underway. “
Caernarfon Town FC said in a statement: âSince Saturday’s semi-final victory we have been inundated with messages asking to be admitted to the pitch for the game.
âAs much as we would like to allow each of you to participate in the meeting, current government regulations do not allow it.
âTherefore, please do not contact the board members and staff to request permission to attend the game as our hands are tied and we just cannot oblige.
âOnly confirmed match officers will be allowed to enter, as has been the case throughout the season.
âWe have already contacted our member of Senedd regarding the possibility of putting pressure on the Welsh government to allow fans to enter the pitch for the match and we will let you know now if there are any developments.
“We urge you to do the same and to contact your local Senedd members so that they are aware of the strength of feelings on this matter.”